- Reading Response #20/ Extra Credit Opportunity: Register for the Hiphop Literacies Conference on March 31 OR April 1 (program coming soon)
- Go to hiphopliteracies.com to register (free for JJay students)
- If you know of another event on campus related to gender justice, please send Professor Carmen an email
- Next Monday, March 27 is the late day to submit any missing work from RR#1-RR#10. These need to be in hardcopy form and submitted at the end of class. If you are absent, late, get sick, have a computer malfunction, email them in, etc NO EXCEPTIONS will be made for you.
II. Continuation from last week's clas
Questions for "Dear Straight People" and "9 Questions Gay People Have for Straight People" (please write these out on your homework or on a a separate piece of paper if you do not have the homework)
- Choose a line that impacted you (+ or - ) from each piece. Explain your choice and response.
- Why do you see as the main messages in each piece here? Who are these poets/speakers addressing?
- Why do you think both of these videos have gone viral?
- How do you explain the media attention/success of something like the videos alongside INCREASED homophobia/violence?
What is Hegemonic Masculinity?
III. Classroom Exercise: Defining Hegemonic Masculinity
Today's class is about defining hegemonic masculinity. You have two tasks: 1) define HM and give examples; 2) why is HM an anti-human construct for men? for women?
Choose a facilitator who will report back to the class. Think of yourselves as giving your colleagues good examples and definitions that will help them with Wednesday's homework.